Let’s make a deal. I’m going to recap this game as quickly as possible and then:
Because if I think on this longer than about 10 minutes I’m going to throw my keyboard out the window.
OKC was terrible for 80% of this game. It was a weird anti-Raptors game where everything was off, layups were missed, defenses were missing, OKC was heavily outworked on the glass, and yet...even then, OKC only needed that 20% to put themselves in a position to win against a team missing so many key players.
And they did it! With clutch threes from Carmelo Anthony and Corey Brewer, followed by a series of made free throws, OKC was up 6 with 24 seconds remaining. Now here’s the anatomy of an inexcusable collapse:
- Let Jayson Tatum score in under 7 seconds.
- Have Russell Westbrook split 1 of 2 free throws.
- Let Terry Rozier run into a (to be fair, contested) three in four seconds.
- Have Carmelo Anthony brick two free throws that would have protected them from complete disaster.
- Give Marcus Morris an open look to win the game with a three (they weren’t even looking for a two).
Posted by Fishing & Hunting on Tuesday, February 20, 2018
But you know what the real recipe is? You miss 10 free throws against a bad team, and 4 of them in the final minute of play. That’s how you suffer an inexcusable loss in an inexcusable moment to a team that is mostly playing out the string because their seeding is locked up.
Just when we thought we had something.