FanPost

No Best Record? Don't Worry!

A lot of people have been talking about getting the best record in the league or at least in the West. This has obvious advantages like home-court and playing supposed "weaker" teams. But, I started thinking that it seems like the teams with the best record don't always end up in the Championship. So, I went back a decade + and looked at every season from last year to the last strike season. I found some telling numbers.

Only twice in the twelve season sample has the NBA sent both conferences' best regular season record holders to the championship: 1999–2000* and 2007–08.

Less than half of the time one of the best record holders from a conference makes it to the finals: 1998–99*, 2001–02, 2002–03*, 2008–09, and 2009–10.

Likewise, just under half the time, neither conference sends their best record holders to the finals: 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005–06, 2006–07, and 2010–11.

So, if a team has the best record in their conference, they have a 37.5% chance to make the finals (nine teams with best record, 24 total slots). But, a team without the best record has a 62.5% chance to make the finals (15 teams without the best record in conference, 24 total slots). And, I have found that only three times has the team with the overall best record won the championship, indicated with *, a dismal 12.5%. So, let the Heat or Bulls have it! Or even the Spurs. The numbers say it is fine.

And, the season that probably has the most comparison would be the strike shortened season, 1998–99. The best record that year was split between San Antonio and Utah, which the previous made it to the finals and won, but their foe was the 8th seeded Knicks. Anyone can make it, especially in these truncated seasons.

This post does not necessarily reflect the views of the staff of Welcome to Loud City or SB Nation. However, it was made by one of the members of the Welcome to Loud City community, so there is a large chance the above post is extremely ballin'!

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Welcome to Loud City

You must be a member of Welcome to Loud City to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Welcome to Loud City. You should read them.

Join Welcome to Loud City

You must be a member of Welcome to Loud City to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Welcome to Loud City. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9347_tracker